My dyeing and painting tunic
The original me made skirt
I wear many clothes to destruction. They’re only fit to be turned into cleaning rags or if there are good bits, maybe some bits of quilt fabric. But I can’t find a photo of me wearing this skirt, maybe that’s because I didn’t wear it very often.
I have a “thing” about clothes that I don’t wear much. I feel sad when I see them hanging there wasted. Some such things just go straight to the charity shop: they’re too good (and too unloved) to be used for something else.
To refashion it: I took off the top of the skirt where the darts were, made armholes and bound the edges. I made more buttonholes so that it would cover me better.
Then I tried it on.
It needed shaping badly so I used some large black buttons to pull it in and give me some shape.
Next came pockets – a working tunic has to have pockets… It was lucky that I had a few bits of the original fabric left because the bits I’d cut off the skirt just wouldn’t stretch to two pockets.
I don’t know why the pockets look blue on the photo – they are definitely black.
And that’s all: I’ve worn the tunic a lot and I’ve even had compliments on it. It’s a simple but successful refashion.
What do you do with your failures? Do you enjoy refashioning? I’d love to hear from you.
Have a fun week.
My new skirt.
Colour Block Skirt
I have a lot of linen scraps, some of them quite large – most of my summer clothes are made from linen or linen/cotton. The pale blue in the middle is the remains of a tablecloth I dyed in natural indigo a few years ago. The lavender is leftover from my first 1930s skirt. I’ve incorporated some pieces from an old skirt too.
The fastenings are buttoned pleats – they open up to make enough space to get in and out of the skirt. It’s a type of fastening I’ve been experimenting with recently. This skirt has a similar fastening. I like that I don’t have to have openings at the side.
The buttons have all been rescued from old clothes. I just can’t let a good button go to waste.
I’m joining lots of makers over at Scrap Happy June. Why not pop over and see what other people have been making?
Thanks for dropping by,
This has been my go to skirt whenever we’ve had really good weather.
I made it at the beginning of the summer from most of a batik jellyroll. I bought the jellyroll thinking that it would do for a workshop I was taking but it was not to be, and I was left wondering what to do with it.
There’s a lot of fabric in a jellyroll: a knitting bag for a friend, one of my fabric pots, this skirt and a few scraps.
My other go to skirt this summer has been this lavender 1934 linen one. I love this skirt.
And talking of the 1930s, Emily Ann is moving along with her 1930s dress and has been investigating laundry and dressmaking techniques from the time. Why not go over and take a look?
Thanks for calling by.
Beautiful but rather dull fabric. I bought it because it’s Welsh and feels wonderful. So, how to make it more interesting?
Well, I think the buttons do that; they are shell buttons but with colour. I bought them on a trip to Cardiff last year with this fabric in mind. Yes, it’s been sitting around that long…
Why the binding? I made a mistake when I cut the pattern out and wasn’t able to cut all the pieces side by side. The binding means I don’t need a hem so it’s as long as I really wanted it to be.
I was pleased that the pattern matches all the way around. I read a tip once that you should use the pieces you’ve already cut to cut the rest. Technical details: I cut half of the back and then turned it over to cut the other half. I could have made a full size pattern but this was quicker.
I laid the back next to the place where I wanted to cut the first front and lined up the pattern before cutting. I turned that front over and used it to cut the other front. If you have a commercial pattern there are usually notches to help you line up the pieces – useful for checks too. This pattern is by me, made from tracing around a skirt several years ago: I didn’t bother with notches. I’ve used it many times and in various fabrics and lengths eg. this long black denim version
The lining was left over from making this coat. I bought more than I needed because I liked it so much. I love a purple lining and this one is lovely and soft.
Interfacing: scraps of lightweight cotton fabric.
Binding: leftovers from another project.
Only the fabric was local so I’ve got a way to go before I wear really local clothes but it’s given me something to think about. The fabric was wonderful to work with, it washed beautifully and I only had to buy thread to finish it. I’m looking forward to working with wool fabrics for #oneyearoneoutfit.
When I don’t need to take photos with my phone I’ll show a photo of me wearing it.
Thanks for looking in.