My Merchant & Mills Curlew dress.
The colour is more realistic in the photo taken on the stairs. It’s made of the undyed Irish linen and I’ve used Earl Grey tea to get the gold colour – I am so pleased with it!
Pattern Changes: I shortened the sleeves. I made the top so I didn’t make a toile.
Sewing: I sewed most of the seams by hand and the rest using my 1930s hand cranked Singer. The dress is bias cut so my wonky handsewing holds it quite well. I could have used my modern Pfaff with its zigzag stitch but I wanted to take my time over it.
I made the dress first
This is the original colour.
Then I made Earl Grey tea with about fifteen used bags (store them in the freezer until you have enough), strained the tea and heated the dress with the tea. Left the dress to cool in the tea and then hung it in the shade to dry. Left it two days and then rinsed it, spun it gently and left it to dry in the shade.
I like the Earl Grey colour better than the more orangey shades of English Breakfast tea and I think I’ll try it again for something else.
I don’t usually post everything I make but I like this batik dress. it’s getting a lot of wear in the warmer weather we’ve been having.
The Merchant & Mills Bantam dress.
I’ve also made tops from this pattern. They are really good with jeans and don’t take much fabric so leftovers are used up.
The Bantam has a shirt style so the back is lower than the front. I quite like that, what do you think?
And here’s one of my attempts to cheer up every day wear.
Just added for fun!
No pattern. This is just rectangles tucked to fit.
And for those of you waiting for the tunic
The colour doesn’t show up well on the actual tunic so I’ve included the parcel I made for leaf printing to get a better idea.
The sage leaves became blobs (pretty deep yellow blobs though!) rather than leaves when I tried to print with them. I don’t think I bundled them up tightly enough. If I had enough sage I would use it to dye a whole garment – the yellow really is beautiful.
I got interested in the marks the copper pipes from the hot water tank – so I made some more by wrapping the tunic around the pipes. I think the copper enhanced the yellow rather than made a dye themselves, although if you know about this I’d be glad to hear from you.
The tunic is in store waiting to be decorated further. I think it would benefit from fancy threads to enhance the pattern the copper pipes made. I’m thinking about it.
So that’s it. I haven’t been keeping up with what you’ve been up to so I’ll be around to your blog to check up on your activities very soon.
Have a lovely week.