Following on from my posting here, I thought I’d show my no pattern tops. They are very good tee shirt replacements for everyday life. This one used 1.5 metres of 1.2m wide fabric. As I’m trying not to save scraps, I’ll make the remainder into one of my fabric pots and some bias binding – both to sell over the summer if I’m lucky.
They are all different, but all made by tucking and manipulating fabric to fit my shape. Buttons are my favourite fastenings so they always feature in these tops and dresses.
Odd? Yes, I suppose so, but they can be quite pretty, they are cool to wear and they don’t use much fabric. The dress was made from only 1 metre of 1.5m wide fabric.
Meantime on the 1930s front, I have a blouse I made a while ago which I think will make a good starting point for this:
Thank you to all those of you who offered sugestions as to where I could find a pattern – I think going through all your suggestions helped me to realise that I actually had something that I could use. I’ll show you soon.
EmilyAnn has some interesting pointers to share on her 1930s dress toile. I am learning a lot from her methods.
And for the #oneyearoneoutfit project, I’ve started sewing the bias Irish linen top. I’ve unpicked some of the threads from the fabric to use as sewing thread as I’ve been unable to source any suitable linen thread. To make it usable I stick to short lengths (about 12 inches) and pull it through a beeswax block. It seems strong enough. Obviously, handsewing is the only way to do it.
Once I’ve made the top I plan to dye it with plants from my garden (or maybe my neighbours’ fields).
Thanks for dropping by.