The same tunic – before and after. Made from an old sheet and solar dyed in daffodil heads.
The colour is actually more yellow than green – rather like these primroses:
For those of you who would like the technical details, here goes:
10th April left in sour milk overnight and dried in the shade without rinsing.
11th April Left overnight in water and washing soda. Dried without rinsing.
12th April As 10th April.
13th April Rinsed, soaked in cider vinegar previously used to pickle eggs – not sure why but it seemed like a good idea. Added the daffodil heads and the warm water they had been heated in. I covered the pot with a sack and left it in the greenhouse. I stirred it daily until:
27th April Removed from the pot, rinsed it in warm water and hung it undercover to drip dry. The result is a very pretty pale yellow that’s hard to convey in photos.
It’s now in a drawer to mature until I’m ready for the next stage – probably leaf prints.
This is a probably the dullest skirt in the world as it is but I’m hoping it’ll soon be much more exciting. I made it from the Irish linen I had to buy so much of last year when I was making the OneYearOneOutfit top. This piece was mordanted in milk when I made the top and has been sitting in a dark place ever since. I’ve also soaked it in warm water & washing soda.
I used the brown thread for some decorative hand stitching – oddly the thread was still in good condition when I found it in an old box full of sewing stuff. It’s important to me to use these old things and I’m thinking of using some (probably 1960s / 1970s) press studs to fasten it.
Incidentally, I used my 1930s Singer to sew most of the seams. It’s hand cranked and I keep wondering whether I could find a treadle to put it in. I think it might be easier to use that way.
The skirt is currently cooling in another pot of daffodil dye. I think next time I will solar dye as the smell of the daffodils cooking is awful and can’t possibly be doing me any good.
I will update you when I see the result.
If you would like to see more frequent but brief postings, please follow me on Instagram – find me by clicking on the photos at the side of my blog.
Thanks for dropping by,
P.S. I have since looked up daffodil flowers and find that they are poisonous if eaten. I wore gloves to process and covered the pot because of the smell. For future reference I think solar dyeing is the way to go for me.